Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Dealing With Life

Life Muse

Rozanne Paxman
Rozanne Paxman

Ro Shares One of Her Most Important Discoveries

Today, I have decided to share with you one of the most important discoveries I have ever made during my lifetime – how to instantly change my mindset when I am struggling with a big challenge.

I have no idea where I came up with it. Perhaps, I read about it somewhere. I suppose it doesn't matter. All that matters is that I learned it, have practiced it, and have become stronger because of it. And now, I am passing it along to you.

Before I share the technique with you, I want to point out that as most elegant, truly effect solutions are, this technique is so simple that I suspect most people who read this muse will ignore it or fail to realize its significance.

Please, don't be one of the people who chooses to ignore the next two paragraphs. This really works.

When something unpleasant happens to you, instead of reacting in your usual manner, stop and reframe your mindset by pointing out to yourself that life has just presented you with an opportunity to grow in some way.

Don't be concerned if you have to do this a number of times. Sometimes, the effect is immediate, and you will never have to reframe your thoughts about that particular challenge. Sometimes, the challenge is large enough that you will need to reframe your thoughts each time you remember what has happened. That's okay. You now have the tool you need to do it. If you do this regularly, you should find that you begin to feel stronger and more able to deal with the ups and downs of your life.

Here are some examples of how I do this:

When someone hurts me (intentionally or unintentionally), I tell myself, "This is my opportunity to practice forgiveness."

When life throws obstacles in my way, I tell myself, "This is my opportunity to practice faith."

When someone is being difficult, I tell myself, "This is my opportunity to practice being kind."

When I am feeling sick with my fibromyalgia and everything becomes difficult to do, I tell myself, "This is my opportunity to practice endurance."

When circumstances require that I make choices that others may misunderstand because they don't have all of the facts, I tell myself, "This is my opportunity to practice having grit."

When I must try unfamiliar or new things in challenging environments, I tell myself, "This is my opportunity to practice being brave."

When the path forward is unlit and I don't know how things will turn out, I tell myself, "This is my opportunity to practice having hope."

When life seems determined to overwhelm me and drag me down, I tell myself, "This is my opportunity to draw closer to my God Who knows my true heart and soul and Who loves me perfectly."

Assignment: Grab a notebook and write out some of your own in preparation for needing them. Begin each one, "This is my opportunity to...." Then, when life whops you upside the head, you'll have a method of calming yourself down. Once you have calmed down, you'll be able to make better choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment